The Hippodrome Theatre was a theater in NYC from 1905-39, located on Sixth Avenue between West 43rd and West 44th Streets in the Theater District of Midtown Manhattan. It was called the world's largest theatre by its builders and had a seating capacity of 5,300, with a 100x200 foot stage. The theatre had state-of-the-art theatrical technology, including a rising glass water tank. The Hippodrome was built by Frederick Thompson and Elmer Dundy, creators of the Luna Park amusement park at Coney Island, with the backing of Harry S. Black's U.S. Realty, a dominant real estate and construction company of the time. The exterior of the red-brick and terra-cotta building was Moorish in style, with two corner towers, each of which was topped by a globe covered in electric lights. The Hippodrome's huge running costs made it a perennial financial failure, and a series of producers tried and failed to make money from the theatre. It was demolished in 1939. Photographed by Bain News Service, 1915-20.
with our download packs
Pre-pay for multiple images and download on demand.
Cette image n’est plus disponible. Elle a déjà été achetée dans le cadre d’une licence à utilisations multiples qui est toujours valide. Vous ne pouvez pas la télécharger ou l’acheter pour toute nouvelle licence. En cliquant sur OK, vous confirmez que cette image sera uniquement utilisée pour les droits accordés par la licence existante.