Brugg is a municipality in the Swiss canton of Aargau and is the seat of the district of the same name. The city is located at the confluence of the Reuss, Aare, and Limmat, with the Aare flowing through the city's old town. It is located approximately 16 kilometers (9.9 mi) from the cantonal capital of Aarau; 28 kilometers (17 mi) from Zürich; and about 45 kilometers (28 mi) from Basel. Brugg is the Swiss German word for bridge (Brücke in High German). This is an allusion to the purpose of the city's establishment under the Habsburgs, as the city is located at the narrowest point on the Aare in the Swiss midlands. The Habsburgs’ oldest known residence is located in the neighborhood of Altenburg, which had previously been an independent community. Prior to their relocation to Austria, Brugg was the center of the Habsburgs' territory. Between 1415 and Napoleon’s invasion in 1798, Brugg was a subject territory of Bern. Since then it has belonged to the Canton of Aargau.
Cette image n’est plus disponible. Elle a déjà été achetée dans le cadre d’une licence à utilisations multiples qui est toujours valide. Vous ne pouvez pas la télécharger ou l’acheter pour toute nouvelle licence. En cliquant sur OK, vous confirmez que cette image sera uniquement utilisée pour les droits accordés par la licence existante.